33 Ways to Celebrate & Be Thankful
There really is so much to be thankful for! When life is crazy, sometimes it can be hard to grasp it all and capture the moment. Celebrating and having fun being together (and being thankful) is so important it was declared a national holiday in the United States of America in 1863 by President Abraham Lincoln. The holiday centered around being thankful was suggested by Sarah J. Hale from New Hampshire.
While several of the New England states celebrated Thanksgiving, it was not all on the same day. Hale campaigned for the holiday as a way for the country to be thankful and celebrate together as there were only two other national holidays at that time – Washington’s birthday & Independence Day.
Abraham Lincoln, who was born in Kentucky, finally agreed to the holiday in 1863 as a step toward unity after the Civil War. Sarah Hale suggested that dinner be a Thanksgiving feast complete with turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie, just to name a few of the delicious dishes we still serve today. Her New England Thanksgiving dinner became the template for the rest of the country to follow for years to come.
Are you looking for fun ways to celebrate, give thanks, and learn more about how to be thankful in your homeschool? Enjoy these 33 ways to celebrate & have fun being thankful this fall and any time of year.
Coloring, Crafts & STEM Activities
- Thanksgiving Coloring Pages are always a BIG hit.
- FREE Thanksgiving Brick Challenge
- 29 Thanksgiving Crafts for Kids
- FREE Printable Kids Placemats for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving Lesson Ideas
- Thanksgiving Online Unit Study
- Free 15-Minute Music Lesson for Thanksgiving
- The Homeschool Garden Morning Time: Thankful
- FREE Thanksgiving Emergent Reader Series: Turkey Stories
- Teach Gratitude with a Thanksgiving Tree
- 5 Ideas for Including Thanksgiving in Your Homeschool
- GORGEOUS Thanksgiving + Fall Unit Study (FREE!) Preschool-3rd
- FREE Thanksgiving Counting Mat
- FREE Printable Kindergarten Math Practice for Thanksgiving
- FREE Thanksgiving Bible Study for Families
- A Thanksgiving Full of Keto Recipe Favorites
- FREE Thanksgiving Prints for Your Home
Printables, Journaling & Writing Prompts
- 30 FREE Gratitude Writing Prompts
- 10 fall journal prompts for young students
- Thanksgiving Through History – Holiday Homeschooling Freebies
- FREE Thanksgiving Lessons for Kids
- FREE Printable Cards for Thanksgiving Thankfulness
- FREE Thanksgiving Activity Placemats
- 6 Thanksgiving writing ideas for homeschool kids
Cooking & Planning
- Delicious And Healthy Easy Holiday Recipes
- 30 Scriptures to Prepare Your Family for Thanksgiving + FREE Printable
- How to Have a Gluten-Free Thanksgiving
- Free Thanksgiving & Christmas Holiday Planner
- 9 Ways to Make Thanksgiving Memorable
- 20+ Ways to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
- FREE Thanksgiving Meal Planning Printables
Scavenger hunts the whole family will love.
- FREE Thanksgiving Photo Scavenger Hunt
- FREE Thanksgiving Scavenger Hunt for Kids
- FREE Printable Set- Household Thanksgiving
Do you happen to be in a difficult place and need encouragement in your homeschool or inspiration on how to ‘give thanks in all things’? Remember, Thanksgiving is a season of reflection and remembrance. Count your blessings, no matter how small. Happy Thanksgiving!