Life can be hard yet looking for blessings can help us to have a thankful heart. Reading and studying Bible verses for gratitude is one way to help keep joy in our lives even in difficult times.
Bible Verses for Gratitude
We’ve put together 58 verses for you to add to your personal study, as a part of your homeschool lessons or for Thanksgiving. There are also links to free journals prompts, copy work and more!
Psalms for Thanksgiving
The Psalms are rich and full of verses giving praise and thanksgiving to the Lord. There are so many wonderful verses from the Psalms that you can memorize and even sing out loud with your children.
1. Psalm 50:23 – The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies me; to one who orders his way rightly I will show the salvation of God!”
2. Psalm 92:1 – It is good to give thanks to the Lord, to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
3. Psalm 100:1-2 –Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.
4. Psalm 105:1 – Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the people!
5. Psalm 107:1-2 – Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the Lord say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble.
6. Psalm 118:24 – This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
7. Psalm 118:28-29 – You are my God, and I will give thanks to you; you are my God; I will extol you. Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!
8. Psalm 136:1 – Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.
9. Psalm 7:17 – I will give thanks to the Lord because of his righteousness; I will sing the praises of the name of the Lord Most High.
10. Psalm 9:1 – I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
11. Psalm 35:18 – I will give you thanks in the great assembly; among the throngs I will praise you.
12. Psalm 69:30 – I will praise God’s name in song and glorify him with thanksgiving.
13. Psalm 95:2 – Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!
14. Psalm 107:8-9 – Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
15. Psalm 110:4 – Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name!
Old Testament Verses of Gratitude to God
These verses from the Old Testament give praise and glory to God. Praising God is one of the best ways to show our gratitude.
16. 1 Chronicles 16:8 – Oh give thanks to the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the peoples!
17. 1 Chronicles 16:34 – Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
18. 1 Chronicles 29:13 – Now therefore, our God, we thank You and praise Your glorious name.
19. Psalm 103 1-2 – Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name.
20. Ezra 3:11 – With praise and thanksgiving they sang to the Lord: “He is good; his love toward Israel endures forever.” And all the people gave a great shout of praise to the Lord, because the foundation of the house of the Lord was laid.
21. Isaiah 12:4-5 – And on that day you will say, “Give thanks to the LORD, call on His name. Make known His deeds among the peoples; make them remember that His name is exalted. Praise the LORD in song, for He has done glorious things; let this be known throughout the earth.
22. Daniel 2:23 – To you, oh God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, for you have given me wisdom and power.
23. Jonah 2:9 – But I with the voice of thanksgiving will sacrifice to you; what I have vowed I will pay. Salvation belongs to the Lord.
30. Colossians 3:15 – And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.
31. Colossians 3:16 – Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God.
New Testament Verses on Gratitude
These Bible passages from the New Testament are full of verses on gratitude and thankfulness to God.
32. Ephesians 5:20 – Giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
33. Acts 24:3 – In every way and everywhere we accept this with all gratitude.
34. Ephesians 1:16 – I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
35. 2 Thessalonians 1:3 – We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly, and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing.
36. 1 Timothy 4:4-5 – For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
37. 2 Timothy 1:3 – I thank God for you—the God I serve with a clear conscience, just as my ancestors did. Night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers.
38. Hebrews 12:28 – Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.”
39. Luke 24:30 – When he was at the table with them, he took bread, gave thanks, broke it and began to give it to them.
Thankfulness from the books of Corinthians
The book of Corinthians is one of the first epistles, letters from Paul to the church in Corinth. These scriptures are full of reminders to be thankful.
40. 1 Corinthians 1:4 – I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus
41. 1 Corinthians 15:57 – But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
42. 1 Corinthians 10:16 – Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?
43. 2 Corinthians 2:14 – But thanks be to God, who in Christ always leads us in triumphal procession, and through us spreads the fragrance of the knowledge of him everywhere.
44. 2 Corinthians 4:15-16 – For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God. So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.
45. 2 Corinthians 9:11 – You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.
46. 2 Corinthians 9:15 – Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!
Verses for Being Thankful in Hard Times
The scriptures are a great way to find joy and peace when things are tough. These verses will help you to be thankful through difficult circumstances. Having an attitude of gratitude can change your perspective.
47. Psalm 28:7 – The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.
48. James 1:2-4 – Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
49. Romans 5:3-5 – Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;
50. 1 Peter 4:12-13 – Dear friends, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal that has come on you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. 13But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
51. John 16:33 – I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
52. Philippians 4:6-7 – Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
53. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 – Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
54. Habakkuk 3:17-18 – Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
55. Psalm 23:4 – Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
56. Psalm 28:7 – The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him.
57. Psalm 34:1 – I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.
58. Psalm 138:7 – Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life. You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me.
Free Activities for Gratitude and Thanksgiving
Teach your kids how to praise the Lord with Thanksgiving through praise and worship, scripture studies, copy work and keeping a gratitude journal.
Teach Gratitude and Thanksgiving Through Praise and Worship – Learn how to teach about gratitude through the act of praise and worship. There is also a free Thanksgiving scripture printable download.
20 Verses in Handwriting & Gratitude Journal – There are 20 Bible verses for daily copy work, coloring pages and a gratitude journal. The list of Bible verses is included in this 47 page Attitude of Gratitude journal that you can access for free from Adventure Homeschool.
Free Printable Thanksgiving Devotions on Gratitude – Teach your children about having a heart of gratitude with these free Thanksgiving Bible studies, scripture verse lesson plans and free printables.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for almost 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!