A landform is a naturally formed feature on the Earth’s surface. It can be a geographic and geological feature. If you are studying earth science, or geology you will most likely learn about landforms in those particular subjects. If you are wanting to put together your own geology or earth unit study, you may want to learn about landforms on your own.
There are many different types of landforms and some of them are quite fascinating to look at and learn about. Download some free landform worksheets to work on learning about the different types of landforms.
What are the different types of landforms?
There are 4 different main landforms:
- Mountains – are large landforms that rise high above the land of a surrounding area and form a peak. They are mostly formed through tetonic forces.
- Plateaus – are also called a high plain or tableland. They are an area of high flat level terrain.
- Plains – a plain is a flat geographic region that does not change much in elevation. They are normally located on valleys or at the foot of mountains.
- Hills – are naturally raised and round shaped areas of land that are not as high as mountains.
There are other minor landforms such as: valleys, buttes, basins, canyons, deserts, dunes, islands, isthmus, geyser, glaciers, continental shelf, peninsulas , deltas and many more.
An important thing to note is that landforms are constantly changing. They can develop quickly when there is an earthquake, landslide or volcanic eruption. Some landforms can take decades to form through weathering and erosion of the surrounding land.
- Landform Dictionary and Coloring Book – TPT
- Geography Landform Cards – Tina’s Dynamic Homeschool Plus
- Landforms and Bodies of Water Printables – Lesson Plan Diva
- Landform Printable Poster Sheet – Kids Press Magazine
Landform Matching Worksheet
- Different Landforms Matching Worksheet – Education.com
- Landform Flashcards – Flashcard Fox
Landform Writing Activity
- Landform Writing Activity – Education.com
Printable Landform Lapbooks
- Color and create a Landform Flipbook – Ginger Snaps
- Landform Lapbook – Simple Living Creative Learning
Free Landforms Guided Drawing Printable – this instant download will help your students learn about 10 different landforms, what makes them unique and where you can find them. They will read and learn about the landform, then draw it on the image grids that are provided.
Landform Fact Cards & Cheat Sheets
Free Landform Fact Cards and Cheat Sheets – This instant download packet includes printable cheat sheets, color fact cards that include the definitions of each term, and black & white fact cards that your students can use to color the landform and write the definition of over 30 landform terms. Scroll to the bottom of this post to download the free landform fact cards.
In the Free Landform Fact Cards, students will learn about various landforms such as:
- barrier island
- sand dune
- sea stack
Learning About Landforms
- All About Landforms Teacher Lesson Plan – Education.com
- Learning About Landforms with Playdough – My Little Poppies
- Landform Memory Game – Layers of Learning
- Paper Art Landforms for Kids Activity – Kid World Citizen
- How to Teach Landforms to Kids plus free word search – Jewels School Gems
- Learn about Landforms from National Geographic
- Make a Landform Diorama Craft – The Crafty Classroom
The Grand Canyon is full of many different landforms such as canyons, cliffs and rock formations. Learn more about the Grand Canyon with these Resources for Learning about the Grand Canyon.
Websites to Learn About Landforms:
- Learn about landforms with videos and lesson plans from Brain Pop Jr. Science.
- Read about the different types of landforms with definitions and photographs of each on School Tutoring: Earth Sciences.
- Learn about the different landforms and what makes them distinct with this series of Landform Videos from PBS Learning Media.
- Take virtual tours with interactive maps and videos of popular world landforms with Mr. Nussbaum Geography.
More Earth Science Resources
Free Landform Printable PDF
Which is larger, a bay or a gulf? Are you ever unsure how to explain an isthmus or an estuary to your kids? These Free Landforms Fact Cards and Cheat Sheets are the perfect tool to help them remember the definitions of more than 30 different landforms.
There are printable cheat sheets, color fact cards that include the definitions of each term, and black & white fact cards that your students can use to color the landform and write the definition.
Download Landform Fact Cards
Thanks for signing up to access our free Landform Fact Cards. You can now access more than 50 freebies in the subscriber library. We add new homeschool downloads to our subscriber library frequently, so be sure to check often. Click the download link below to save this free file to your computer.
DOWNLOAD: Landform Fact Cards & Cheat Sheets
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for almost 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!