When young children are having fun rolling, pinching, patting, poking and squishing playdough, they are also working on strengthening the small muscles in their fingers and hands. These muscles that they are using need this kind of strengthening as they are the same ones that are used later in life when cutting, drawing, doing up buttons and zips and writing. Developing fine motor skills with playdough is a fun activity that will keep young children occupied for ages.
There are so many activities that playdough can be used for when working on developing fine motor skills. Here are just a few:
- Roll playdough into balls using the thumb and fingers.
- Form the letters of the alphabet with playdough
- Make long snakes with playdough and cut them into pieces with a pair of scissors
- Roll out the playdough and cut out shapes using cookie cutters
- Use items such as googly eyes, beads, buttons, pegs, straws and feathers to push and press into playdough
- Make pretend cakes, cupcakes, pizza, and pies with playdough
- Make different landforms with playdough eg. mountains, hills, rivers, lakes
Playdough Printable Mats
- Kids love learning about butterflies. After watching and counting them outside, they can create the life cycle of a butterfly from playdough with these fun Butterfly Life Cycle Playdough Mats.
- Learn about the letters of the alphabet with these fun Alphabet Pictures Playdough Mats.
- These balls can then be used with these A-Z Ten Frame Mats to mark out the correct numbers. These mats are currently on sale until the end of August 2020.
- Learn about the life cycle of a bee with these playdough mats.
- If you have dinosaur-loving kids, then they will love creating dinosaurs out of playdough with these Dinosaur Playdough Mats.
- Children can create the letters of the alphabet with these Alphabet Letters Playdough Mats.
- The ladybug is an interesting insect for young children to learn about, especially when they can create the ladybug life cycle out of playdough.
- Looking for a great way to introduce young children to music theory? These Music Notes and Instruments Playdough Mats are a great way to have fun and learn at the same time.
- Children can learn about the life cycle of a frog with these fun Frog Life Cycle Playdough Mats.
- These counting mats can also be laminated and used with playdough to help children practice their counting from 1 – 20.
- Learn about different Australian animals with these fun Australian Animals Playdough Mats.
- Introduce the different seasons to your kids with these fun Seasons Playdough Mats which are on sale until the end of August 2020.
Need a Playdough recipe?
- Have an excess of broken crayons? Why not use them to create lovely colored playdough.
- Children will love helping to make this edible playdough with Peeps and sprinkles.
- This edible marshmallow playdough is fun, even though it doesn’t keep very well.
- Made some playdough with your favorite flavored Jell-O.
- For a super smooth playdough, try this one.
- Here are some fun edible playdough recipes.
Stacey is a homeschooling Christian mum trying to live a simple, frugal, healthy life. She lives with her husband and two gorgeous boys in the sunshine state of Queensland, Australia. You can check out her blog at Simple Living Creative Learning where you find printables, kids activities, homemaking resources, homeschooling encouragement, and even some recipes!
FREE Landmarks of France Notebook
Explore five famous landmarks and three famous cities of France and enjoy bonus reading comprehensio
Big List of Free Language Arts Learning Sites & Apps
Anyone who knows me knows that I love grammar! That is why I am so excited to share with you this bi
Free Resources for Studying John Bunyan & His Works
Want to learn about an author who sought to bring the gospel to ordinary people, like you and me? Th
FREE Sports Equipment Cut and Paste Activity
Do you have a child who loves sports? This is the perfect hands-on activity for those rainy days whe
FREE Resources for Discovering Acadia National Park
This summer has not been like other summers. Vacations, and many plans and fun family trips have bee
Awesome Resources for Preschool Learning 'Like the Big Kids'
Awesome resources to help your preschoolers 'learn like the big kids'. If there are older siblings
Resources for Learning About Peru
Are you studying about the countries of the world or South America? Check out these resources for le