Earth Science covers the study of the earth, and the minerals and resources that can be found in the earth. It is such a broad topic of study, and can lead to some great unit studies for Science.
Earth science includes the study of archaeology, caves, geology, and more. These individual earth science topics can be super fun for kids. I have never met a child who wasn’t interested in rocks and dirt. When you want to break out into some fun topics, using a free Earth science worksheet is a great place to start.
Earth Science Worksheets
We have compiled a ton of free resources and printables that can help you create your own unit studies on these different science topics.
You might also be interested in our free instant downloads on earthquakes and other natural disasters.
Printables & Resources on Archaeology:
Archaeology is fun because you can combine science and history into one! You can put together a great archaeology notebook using some of these resources.
- National Park Service has an Archaeology for Kids page with printable record sheets for your own archaeological dig.
- Little Homeschool on the Prairie has free What is an Archaeologist? Lapbook printable pages.
- School Express has an entire page of Archaeology worksheets. There are coloring pages, word searches, crossword puzzles, cryptograms and more.
- Oklahoma Homeschool has put together an Archaeology and the Bible Unit Study.
- Practical Pages has put together a 5 page Archaeology Lapbook printable pack with mini books and hands on activities.
- Archeaology Lesson Plans – using archaeology lesson plans helps make the planning easier.
Caves are fascinating to learn about! If you have any caves that are near where you live, make sure to visit them. This would make a great field trip opportunity! The Caves Student Notebook is a great resources to enhance your study of caves.
- Exploring Caves Teaching Packet for Grades K-3
- Into the Cave is a printable that focuses on learning geological vocabulary. (3rd grade)
- National Park Service Carslbad Caverns has a page on Bats, Caves and Deserts with a complete curriculum to download.
- Underground Cave Map
- How Cave Biology Works: The Cave Ecosystem
- The Underground World of Caves has information on how caves are formed, cave formations, how caves are found, photos, and recommended reading lists.
- The Virtual Cave is a cave photography website with amazing photos and lots of information. All photos are free to use without permission for educators and students.
- Caveslime: Journey into Caves Find out all you’ve ever wanted to know about caves and the organisms that live there.
- National Geographic Caves has articles, photos and information about caves.
Caves to Explore
- 23 of the Most Insane Caves That You Can Explore
- The World’s Coolest Caves
- Incredible Caves and Caverns in the U.S.
Recommended Resource: The Caves Student Notebook
Students will learn about the many different types of caves, including natural caves, manmade caves, and caves used for various purposes throughout history. They will also learn about the many different kinds of people who study caves, such as archaeologists, geologists, paleontologists, anthropologists, and others.
Geology is the study of the Earth, its processes, its materials, its history. Rocks, crystals, mountains, earthquakes, volcanoes, rivers, glaciers, landslides, and floods can all fall into the study of Geology. Create a geology notebook using all sorts of free geology worksheets.
- Calendar Connections: Geology Cards
- Geology Nomenclature Cards
- Geology Fact Cards – This printable set of Geology Fact Cards teaches students about rocks, gems, and minerals in and easy-to-use fact card format. The Geology Fact Cards go along great with the Nature Notebook.
The Rock Cycle
Recommended Resource: The Geology Student Notebook
This geology notebook is a great resource to use when you are studying about rocks and fossils for earth science.
Earth Science Lapbooks
Types of Rocks Printables
Free Types of Rocks Printable
Teach your kids about the 3 rock types using our free 3 types of rocks printable.
Rocks and Minerals
- Rocks and Minerals Review Sheet and Quiz Highschool Levels
- Rocks and Minerals Experiment Sheets and Rock Station Ideas
- Rocks and Minerals Unit Study Booklet
Learning about Earth science can be fun when you add in hands-on activities like rock collecting. Be sure to also download a fossils worksheet so you can broaden your studies even more.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for almost 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!