Geology is the science of the study of the Earth that deals with the rocks that the earth is composed of, and the chemical and physical changes that the earth is going through. If you are learning about Earth science in your homeschool, you will most likely be learning about geology and the study of rocks.
Children are fascinated with rock hunting, and rock collecting. Learning about rocks is a great way to engage your children in a fun, and interesting sub topic of science. Download some free fossils worksheets and rock printables to add to your study of geology.
Rocks and Fossils Worksheets
When you are learning about rocks that are found in the earth, you will most likely come across the topic of fossils! I love how homeschooling lets us go down so many different rabbit holes and areas of interest. Kids love to learn about fossils and how they are found.
We have put together a ton of resources for you to be able to study both topics with your children. There are free printables, unit studies and lesson plans, as well as websites for even more research on both the topics of rocks and also fossils. Enjoy!
- Rocks and Minerals Unit – Ginger Snaps
- Rock Cycle Fill in the Blank Printable – Teacher Vision
- Rocks and Minerals Review Sheet and Quiz for Highschool
Free Printable Rock Cycle Worksheets
Types of Rocks Worksheet Printables
Learning About Rocks
The Handbook of Nature Study Blog has some wonderful studies and articles to learn and study rocks:
Online Rock Resources:
- Kids Love Rocks – rock and mineral website for kids
- Geology.com Rocks has pictures of the three different types of rocks to help with classification.
- Online Kids Discover Rocks and Minerals
- Ducksters Rock Science
- DK Find Out: Rocks and Minerals
- Instant Download: Rock Terminology Copywork Notebook – In this rock terminology copywork notebook, your children will not only learn the basic rock terms, they will also learn many other rock types and terminology. They will learn 30 keywords and definitions while they are practicing their handwriting at the same time.
Recommended Resource: The Geology Student Notebook
This geology notebook is a great resource to use when you are studying about rocks and fossils for earth science.
- 3 Types of Fossils – Elemental Blogging
- Fossil Definition Worksheet – Have Fun Teaching
- Fossils Fill in the Blank Worksheet – Have Fun Teaching
Printable Fossil Activity Worksheet
How Fossils Form
- Fossil Flow Chart and How Fossils Form – Enchanted Learning
Types of Fossils Printable
- Types of Fossils – Enchanted Learning
Printable Fossil Identification Chart
If you enjoy looking for fossils, this handy printable fossil identification chart is a great thing to take along with you. These fossil identification sheets cover different parts of the country, depending on where you are looking for fossils.
Online Fossil Resources
- Geology.com Fossils has images on different fossils and paleontology
- Answers in Genesis has a page with a video devoted to fossils found within the earth, from a creationist perspective.
- DK Find Out: Fossil Facts for Kids – has articles and clickable photos with information on fossils, fossil hunters, where fossils can be found and so much more.
Recommended Resource: The Fossils Student Notebook
This fossils notebook is a great resource to use when you are studying about rocks and fossils for earth science.
Learning about rocks and fossils can be fun for students. If you incorporate different activities when you teach about the 3 types of rocks, it makes it more enjoyable.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (two homeschool graduates) She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for over 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and gardens. She can only do it by the Grace of God, coffee and green juice