The Australian Bush is also known as the Australian Outback. Animals of the Australian Bush are very unique and and different from many mammals that reside in other parts of the world. Many of these animals hop instead of run on four legs, they are large, and they have pockets to hold their babies. Australia is home to some animals that only live in Australia such as the kangaroo and koala.
This post is part of the World Habitats Series
Austrailan Animal Facts
Australia is the smallest continent in the whole world, yet it is one of the few continents that have all three groups of mammals in one place. The monotremes, which are mammals that lay eggs, like the playtpus and echidna. It is home to many marsupials animals with pockets for their babies and placentals.
There are over 800 species of birds, half of them only live in Australia. There are two crocodile species, 4,000 fish and 50 types of marine animals. It is a very diverse continent full of wildlife!
Australian animals are very popular because most can not be found in America. They are unusual and kids love learning about the crazy Tasmanian devils and the cuddly looking koala bears that live in the tree tops. Many of Australian’s animals live in the Australian Bush. We have also seen them on the news as many of these precious animals were killed or injured in the wild fires.
Australian Animals Printables
If your children want to learn more about Australian animals check out these free animals of the Australian bush printables.
- Color the Continent Animal Page – Education.com
- Australian Animals Word Search – Activity Village
- Australian Animal Coloring Pages – Brisbane Kids
- Australian Animals Kit – Homeschool Share
- Australian Animal Fact Worksheets – Our Aussie Homeschool
- Simple Living Creative Learning has some great printable packs on Australian animals:
- Echidna Life Cycle Printable
- Platypus Life Cycle Printable Pack
- Australian Animals Printable Pack
In All You Do has lots of cute resources for learning about the platypus:
- Platypus Life Cycle Tot & PreK-K Pack
- Platypus Life Cycle Emergent Readers
- Platypus Life Cycle Coloring Pages
- Platypus Life Cycle Playdough Mats
- Platypus Life Cycle Notebooking Pages
Australian Bush Animals
Here are some websites that have more information on Australian Bush animals with pictures, facts and videos.
- List of Australian Animals with Pictures – Active Wild
- Australian Outback Animals – Outback Australia Travel
- Native Animals You’ll Find in an Aussie Backyard – Australian Geographic
If you want explore Australia even more with unit studies and free resources, check out these posts.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for almost 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!
Series Navigation Previous: FREE Animals of the Sahara Desert Printables Next: FREE Animals of the Everglades Printables