Eureka! Everything You Need for FUN Pi Day (3.14) Learning
When we celebrate Pi Day (π or 3.14), we are really celebrating Archimedes & Greek Geometry! So have your pie, study fractions, and enjoy learning about all kinds of geometric shapes, especially circles. And… don’t forget to re-enact the steps that made Archimedes famous by using the download at the end of this post. You too will be saying…”Don’t disturb my circles!”
Archimedes is one of the most famous scientists of Ancient Greece during the Classical Age. He grew up in Syracuse, which is now part of modern-day Sicily. He is perhaps best known for being a great mathematician and creating ingenious tools and simple machines. Other’s had been trying to find the precise value of π for a long time, but it was Archimedes who had the last word on the exact measurement and how to calculate with it.
There is much to learn about this amazing inventor and mathematician and his contribution to science and learning about Pi is a fun way of learning more about the often difficult subject of math and geometry.
Before you get started with Pi and your circles.
You might want to brush up on knowledge of Archimedes. Here are some great places to use with the kids before you get going on your Pi Day math and science activities.
- Discovering the Work of Archimedes – Learn all about Archimedes, including Pi, with this fun, fast-paced BBC Bitesize video with Dick & Dom from Absolutely Genius.
- A Brief History of Pi (π) – Did you know that 4000 years ago Pi was originally just ‘3’? It created quite a bit of confusion for the ancient Babylonians.
- Archimedes: Beyond “Eureka!” – This downloadable unit study about Archimedes life and his many inventions, including his discovery of Pi. It includes fun videos for the kids and a collection of science and math activities about Archimedes’ most famous inventions and accomplishments.
Pi Day Activities
When it comes to Pi Day activities, the sky is the limit! There are plenty of ideas floating around out there. Here are a few fun ones that don’t create a lot of mess and can be fun for just about any age group. So grab a deck of cards, a few art supplies, and have some 3.14 fun for Pi Day.
- FREE Printable Puzzle for Pi Day
- FREE Pi Day Color by Shape Printable
- Learn the Pi song.
- Pi Day card game.
- Turn your Pi (π) into music.
- Create some math art a sky full of Pi-scrapers.
- Pi Day Scavenger hunt
Add some fun lunchtime activities and that’s Pi Day sorted! Grab some pizzas from the freezer section (or make your own pizza). Spicy Sicilian Pizza is perfect for learning about π & Sicily’s famous mathematician.
Having Pie for a Pi Day snack is fun too! Who could resist learning about fractions with “Pi a la mode”!
Make sure you save some time to do this Archimedes Pi (π) Project!
Use code: PiDay to get your Validating Pi(3.14) STEM Project for free! Get your download here!