A coral reef is a beautiful underwater ecosystem that is made up of colonies of reef building corals. They are very bright and colorful and full of interesting animal life. Are you learning about ocean habitats in your homeschool? Your children will enjoy learning about coral reefs with these free animals of the coral reefs printables.
My children became fascinated with coral reefs after watching Finding Nemo! That sweet Disney movie just made the ocean come alive for them. It is really amazing knowing that fish and different living creatures that make up the reef itself reside there. Did you know that coral and sea anemones aren’t plants, but actually living animals? That God created certain animals to live inside them as their homes? We also learned that while watching Finding Nemo. Add that one to your list if you are doing a study about coral reefs in your homeschool!
If your children have a love for the ocean, and learning about nature, you must check out our newest release.
The Ocean Notebook is a companion notebooking journal to Ocean Anatomy by Julia Rothman, sold separately. Your students will use written narration, drawing, and labeling alongside the book to immerse themselves in the life of the ocean. They will learn about the layers of the ocean, the ocean floor, coral reefs, tide pools, and more!
Interesting Coral Reef Geography and Facts:
- Coral reefs only cover about 1% of the ocean floor, yet they are home to 25% of the world’s species of marine animals! This is because the reef itself is created by polyps which are animals.
- Coral reefs can be found in more than 100 countries around the world. Most of these reefs are in tropical locations between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, in the Pacific Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, the Red Sea, and the Persian Gulf.
- The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is the world’s largest coral reef.
- The Florida Reef is the only coral reef in the United States of America.
- Red Sea Coral Reef is the oldest coral reef in the world.
- Coral needs sunlight to grow, this is why most are found in shallow waters.
- Coral reefs protect the wildlife around them. This is where the name barrier came from. They form a barrier from the open ocean to the shallow waters with the reefs.
- Reefs are important nesting grounds for other animals.
- The algae that lives on top of coral is also an animal. The algae and coral have a special symbiotic relationship.
FREE Animals of the Coral Reefs Printables:
Websites and Articles on Coral Reef Animals:
NOAA Coris (Coral Reef Information System) – This website is full of information about the coral reefs located within the United States, territories and remote island areas. There are lots of articles, different publications and even curriculum to download.
Animals of the Coral Reefs – Skyenimals – This website has a list and photographs of different coral reef animals. When you click each photo it will bring you to more information about each animal for further research.
Kids Do Ecology World Biomes: Coral Reef – Information on the Coral Reef habitat with games and links to learn more.
Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority – Website full of information on what is currently happening in the Great Barrier Reef. There are lots of photographs, maps, and information on the health of the reef with up to date news and articles.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for over 16 years now. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!
FREE Printable Phonics Books and Worksheets
I learned to read at a very young age because my mother read to me daily. I loved books. I would rea
FREE World War II Guided Drawing
From a group of volunteer women to career soldiers and top-ranking generals, the bravery of so many
Free Resources to Learn About Arthropods
Are your students ready to learn all about creepy crawlies this year? These free resources to learn
How to Get Into a Back to School Routine
Families all over the world are gearing up for home education this year. Whether you are new to home
Free Printables and Resources About the Sun and Moon
Usually, when we read about the sun and moon, they are grouped together due to some major similariti
FREE Resources for Discovering Arches National Park
There are many families that are stuck at home this summer and unable to travel. Whether it be due t