Eric Carle books are a favorite book to read to our little ones in our home! We just adore the Eric Carle books and have a nice library of them. I prefer the sturdy, hardback ones and I always keep them low on a shelf right at eye level for my kids to pull out whenever they want. These Free Printables and Unit Studies for Eric Carle’s Books will help you expand on what your kids are learning through these beloved books.
My toddlers love pulling these books out, looking at the pictures, and pretending to “read” them. After they are old enough to start really enjoying them, they quickly learn the names of the animals and colors just by being read aloud to on a regular basis.
Once you have built your library of amazing Eric Carle books, then you can start creating your own lesson plans using some of the free Eric Carle printables listed below by title. We enjoy using activities alongside the books to add many different learning opportunities.
Ways to Get the Most Out of Eric Carle’s Books
Do you have an amazing bookshelf full of beautiful picture books that you want your child to flock to? If you answered yes, good for you, if not, don’t sweat it, it’s never too late to start building your homeschool library.
- Collect as many of Eric Carle’s books that you can. You can often find used Eric Carle Books at ThriftBooks starting at just $3.99 a book. I like buying books at ThriftBooks because it saves me money and I can usually get free shipping.
- Keep the books easily accessible for your children to reach and encourage them to look through them all, not just their favorite.
- Keep a list of the titles you own and jot down a few learning ideas that you can use for each one, that way you can grab Little Coud when your older child is learning about clouds in science.
- Often times you will discover teaching opportunities that a book can help solidify. Is your child grumpy today? Then grab The Grouchy Ladybug and try and cheer them up.
BIG List of Free Eric Carle Printables
If you love Eric Carle books, then you are going to love all these awesome free printables and unit studies to go along with some of our favorites. After you discover Eric Carle preschool worksheets, printable activities, lesson plans, you will also find Eric Carle writing activities, coloring pages and book activities listed by title.
Recommended Resource: Huge Early Learning Bundle
If you are teaching your young children about letters, numbers, shapes, colors, or sight words, this bundle is a must-have! It contains over 600 pages of printable preschool and kindergarten worksheets, plus a lesson plan and skills checklist.
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Printables & Activities
If you are looking for Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? activities, you will find these Eric Carle printables helpful.
- Color Words Cards – practice spelling colors with these fun Eric Carle word cards.
- Brown Bear Math Printables – this roll and color game uses graphing and dice.
- Sequencing Cards and Clank Can Idea – Sequencing cards are a fun activity for early learners and Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? is a great book to use for such activities.
- Little Brown Bear Printable Reader – if Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a fave for your kiddo, they are sure to like this printable.
- Brown Bear Picture Props – These color label templates are shown printed on magnetic paper and used like a storyboard.
- Printable Vocabulary Cards for Early Readers – Print these Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? Reading Cards to help your young one recognize word names.
- Printable Cards to go with Book Box Craft – These printable cards capture scenes from the book that your child can use to re-tell the story.
- Brown Bear, Brown Bear Early Learning Pack – I love Carisa’s early learning packs, and this one is no exception.
- Tot Pack for Brown Bear, Brown Bear – Toddlers love doing “school” and using a fun toddler activity pack for Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? is a fun way to get them excited about learning.
The Very Hungry Caterpillar Printables & Activities
The Very Hungry Caterpillar is Mr. Carle’s most popular book, and there’s no wonder why. It’s a delightful picture book that shows children how caterpillars become butterflies. Use these free printables for The Very Hungry Caterpillar to make the book come alive for your kids.
- Matching Game – This Eric Carle game of matching is a fun small-motor skill game.
- Story Mini Book – Print off a mini-book, flashcards and worksheets for the Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Printable Coloring Book – What kid doesn’t love coloring? Use this coloring book alongside Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
- Feed The Very Hungry Caterpillar Game – This game looks like a lot of fun. It uses an egg carton craft and printable food that your child can pretend with.
The Mixed-Up Chameleon Printables & Activities
My oldest daughter always loved The Mixed-Up Chameleon. It’s fun to expand on this book with activities about camouflage. There are also some fun chameleon crafts you can do to incorporate art activities.
- Mixed Up Chameleon Lesson Plans and Unit Study – These lesson plans and unit study also gives you fun and educational facts about chameleons.
- Comprehension, Vocabulary and Word Work – Lots of printables to help your kids with reading comprehension and vocabulary words.
- Foldable Books, Graphic Organizers, Spelling and Vocab Units – This cute packet includes hands-on activities and mini books perfect for early elementary ages.
- Lots of Spelling and Vocabulary Worksheets – Huge list of printable spelling and vocabulary lists, worksheets and more.
- Lesson Plans on Texture and Camouflage – Art lesson on different types of textures and rubbings to make a chameleon.
- The Mixed-Up Chameleon Lessons Plans and Printables – These lesson plans and printables have links to learn about chameleons, printable worksheets and more to make a complete unit study.
- Fun Chameleon Transparency Sheet Activity – Another fun art activity that uses transparency sheets to trace chameleons.
- How to Draw Cartoon Chameleons Step by Step – Do your kids like to draw? This step-by-step tutorial will teach them how to draw a cartoon chameleon similar to the one in the book.
- Letter C Chameleon Craft – This is a really fun cut and paste puzzle like craft.
- Writing Activity – Your kids will get creative as they write their own version of the story.
The Grouchy Ladybug Printables & Activities
Who doesn’t love ladybugs? Incorporate some fun activities to go along with The Grouchy Ladybug and talk about feelings and how you can properly express them and how to have self control.
- Felt Board Characters or Puppets – Kids love using felt boards. These printable templates will help your kids act out the story on their own.
- Lapbook or Center Activity – We love lapbooks in our homeschool. This is a hands-on lapbook and preschool and kindergarten activity.
- Writing and Craftivity – This writing activity comes with a cute printable ladybug craft template.
- Sequencing Activity – Put the story events in the correct order with this worksheet.
- Making Connections Worksheet – Your students will write out their thoughts of the connections that they made while reading the story.
- Expressing Feelings – This worksheet will help your children learn how to express their feelings.
- Telling Time With the Grouchy Ladybug Lesson Plans – Time is a big theme in this book. This activity and lesson will help your children practice telling time and sequencing story events.
- Ladybug Clock Craft – This is such an adorable craft where you kids will create their own ladybug clock.
The Little Cloud Printables & Activities
If you are studying weather in science with your older kids, grab your Eric Carle book Little Cloud, your toddler will love it! You can even do some easy and fun crafts with cotton balls to represent clouds.
- Trace and Color Activity for Little Cloud – Individual trace and color sheets that go along with each object in the book.
- Little Cloud Emergent Reader – Printable emergent reader based on the book. Each page can be colored or painted to create your own book.
- What Did Little Cloud Become? Dot to Dot Page – Complete this dot to dot page to see what Little Cloud turned into.
- The Little Cloud Customizable Printable Worksheet – Kids love dot worksheets and coloring, this cloud themed worksheet is perfect to go along with the book.
- Cloud Art and Writing Activity Printable – Create some cloud art and practice writing skills at the same time.
- Little Cloud Book Companion Pack Freebie – Cute mini book for your kids to practice some creative writing.
- Learning About Clouds: FREE Worksheets, Printables and More – Take your studies about clouds a step further with these science worksheets and printables.
Ten Little Rubber Ducks Printables & Activities
Rubber ducks – who doesn’t love them? This book is a great counting book and can help your little one learn how to count up to ten.
- Ten Little Rubber Ducks Printable Ordinal Numbers Book – Practice number order and drawing cute pictures from the story with this printable book.
- Kindergarten Nana has some of the cutest ideas for this book: lesson plans including printable numbered ducks to cut out and use in activities.
- 10 Little Rubber Ducks Craft – Your little ones are going to have a lot of fun with this craft that goes along with the book.
Interesting articles on the real story of the rubber ducks:
- Thousands of Rubber Ducks to Land on British Shore After 15 Year Journey – This article gives a break down of the journey of the ducks alongw ith a map to follow their route.
- BBC News Ducks Odyssey Near Ends – This discusses the end of the voyage for the rubber duckies.
- 28,000 Rubber Ducks Teach Us About our Ocean Systems – Learn about pollution on our ocean after reading the story.
Free Editable Name Tracing Pack
This pack of printable name tracing pages provide a customizable name tracing template that you can use with your beginning writers. Included are trace your name pages, sibling’s name pages, phone numbers, address, child’s birthday, and bonus days of the week and months of the year tracing worksheets.
How to Download This Name Tracing Worksheets Pack
To get access to Me and My Family Editable Name Tracing, sign into the subscriber library using the password found in all our emails. Not yet a subscriber? No worries – sign up below to get access now!
Note: The editable name tracing pdf pack can be found under the Preschool & Early Learning section of the subscriber library.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for over 16 years now. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!