Summer time, especially in Florida, means spending a lot of time around the water. This is the perfect time to teach your children about water safety.
It sure gets boring being cooped up in the house during the summer. Right now there are not a lot of indoor places that are open with everything going on in the world. Normally our summers are full of activities that have become a part of our summer traditions. The kids would usually be at the library once a week doing the summer reading clubs. We would go to craft make and takes at our local craft stores. We had a full calendar of summer camps and vacation Bible schools to attend. Those have all been cancelled as well.
Family Water Safety
Since there isn’t a lot to do indoors, we have found ourselves spending much more time at the beach, rivers, springs and in our own pool. Being outdoors and around water brings about many concerns. If you have multiple children it can be tough to watch everyone around the water around the same time. It can be stressful and not very enjoyable.
Water Safety Discussions
With some good family talks and water safety training, being around the water can be an enjoyable and memorable experience. There are lots of free printables, resources and websites to help you teach your children how to be smart around water. There are some new things to learn to help you keep an eye on your children and help to prevent accidents at home and out around water.
Printable Water Safety Worksheets
If you want to teach your children how to be safe around the water, these resources will be a great help.
Water Safety Printables:
- Boating Safety with Kids free printable boating scavenger hunt – The Resourceful Mama
- Water Safety Printable Activities – Mrs. Jones Creation Station
- Songs about Water Safety for Kids – Bits of Positivity
- Empowering Kids Through Water Safety – Bon Bon Break
- Printable Water Safety What’s Different Pages – A Day in Motherhood
- Activities to Teach Water Safety to Preschoolers – Hello Motherhood
- Water Safety Worksheets for Kids – Living Life and Learning
- Water Safety Coloring Pages – My Coloring Pages
- Teaching Water Safety Plus Pool Printable Pack – Simple Living Creative Learning
- Water Safety Teacher Resources – Lesson Planet
- Printable Water Safety Posters – Twnkl
- Fun and Safety on the Water – On this podcast, Hal and Melanie Young share their thoughts on how they train their kids to be safe around the lake, pool, or beach.
Water Safety Websites and Articles:
- Resources to help your kids learn about water safety from The American Red Cross. There are 8 water safety video episodes to show your kids how to be smart around water. There are also free safety courses as well as printable downloads.
- Learn about the different types of water emergencies and how to make water safety a priority – The American Red Cross.
- National Water Safety Month has printables, videos and resources to help teach water safety.
- Water Safety USA will help you and your family become water competent with a water safety action plan, safety messages and resources.
- Protect Your Child from Drowning Water Safety Tips and Facts – Mayo Clinic
- How to Teach Water Safety for Children – Penlights to Pacifiers
- Pool Safety Kids Korner – has educational videos and activities to help children learn about pool safety and water fun.
- 11 Life-saving Water Safety Rules For Kids Parents Can’t Afford to Ignore – Made in a Pinch
- 10 Water Safety Rules to Teach Your Children – Printable Parents
- Beach and Water Safety Tips from an Ocean Lifeguard Mom – Rhythms of Play
- Water Safety Tips for Kids – A Crafty Spoonful
- Bobber is a fun water safety website from U.S. Army Corps of Engineers National Operations Center for Water Safety. Your kids will love the safety videos with Bobber the water dog, with coloring pages and activity sheets.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for almost 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!