There are many benefits to teaching your homeschoolers a foreign language (or multiple languages). If you are researching the various foreign language curriculum options for your homeschool, don’t miss this list below.
Foreign Language Curriculum
My children are mixed; my husband is Filipino, Chinese, Spanish, and Mexican. I am German, Polish, and Scottish. When the race box comes up on forms for our kids, I check “other.” My teen sometimes will check the box that says she is of Hispanic origin and then the other box that says “one or more races not of Hispanic origin.” that really trips people up. LOL
My daughter used Rosetta Stone in 11th and 12th grade and she enjoyed it mostly. She is not fluent, but she surely can roll her “R’s” better than I can.
Below you will find 41 resources for teaching foreign languages to your homeschoolers. These include foreign language curriculum for homeschoolers, free language learning websites, paid memberships, Skype foreign language tutors, and more.
Foreign Language Curriculum
- 10 Minutes a Day Foreign Language Courses – In just 10 minutes a day® you can be making friends in a new language!
- 121 Spanish – Learning Spanish online is ideal for students of all ages – from young children to retired persons. Online lessons are suitable for students at all levels – from beginner to advanced.
- Auralog Tell Me More – Tell Me More products are available in the following languages: Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, or Spanish.
- Better Chinese – Better Chinese has the largest collection of proven learning methods and materials that are age-and-level appropriate.
- Calico Spanish – Start learning Spanish in 3 easy steps
- Digitaldialects.com – Free to use language learning games.
- Duolingo – Learn Spanish, French and other languages for free.
- English Grammar for Students of .. (Foreign Language) series – Learn 10 different languages.
- Flip Flop Spanish – Flip Flop Spanish early-learning, elementary, middle school, and high school curricula is consistently rated as the top homeschool Spanish curriculum.
- Flippers – FLIPPERS® are the perfect educational and informational tool for all ages.
Foreign Language Homeschool Curriculum
- Headventure Land – Fun games and videos for Latin, Spanish, and Greek language learning.
- Hey, Andrew!! Teach me some Greek! – Hey, Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek! teaches biblical Greek to pre-schoolers and older students (even adults like it) via workbooks packed with fun activities.
- Homeschool Spanish Academy – Your student will be speaking Spanish after just one class!
- Hooked on Spanish – Hooked on Spanish(tm) Premium Edition teaches kids ages 4 to 6 basic Spanish vocabulary words and other useful expressions and phrases.
- La Clase Divertida – Offers Spanish curriculum for elementary and middle school students as well as live, online classes for high school students.
- Language Nut – Elementary level digital language learning resources for World Languages including French, Spanish, Italian, ESOL and more.
- Latin’s Not So Tough! – Latin’s Not So Tough! teaches Latin to early elementary and older students (
even adults like it) via workbooks packed with fun activities.
- Learning Wrap-Ups: Spanish Intro Kit
Foreign Language Resources
- Let’s Play In Spanish – Teaching Spanish to children through high-quality Spanish language immersion programs that help children learn in an educational, musical, and fun way.
- Little Pim – With 12 languages to choose from, this proprietary method teaches your child 360 words and phrases.
- LOI Spanish – Ready to learn Spanish? Skype Spanish classes allow you to learn in the best way, with native Spanish speaking professional teachers, from the comfort of your home.
- Mango Languages – Learn how Mango Languages’ language-learning resources help patrons, students, employees, and individuals learn 70+ languages online and on-the-go.
- Muzzy Foreign Language programs – MUZZY’s simple and effective program works by teaching foreign language through fun and animated stories, songs and games. These stories use the natural immersion method, which is based after the way children learn their first language.
- PetraLingua – English, Spanish, French, Chinese, German and Russian for Kids. PetraLingua® early foreign language learning with videos, songs, games for children.
- Pimsleur – Give us 30 minutes a day and we’ll have you speaking your new language in no time.
- Power-Glide Language Courses – Power–Glide courses make learning a new language exciting, relevant, and fun
- Prima Latina for Latin – Prima Latina uses a clear and systematic format to introduce Latin to young students. It teaches important English and Latin grammar concepts, as well as vocabulary, sayings, prayers, hymns, and constellations.
- Rosetta Stone – The most trusted language solution for 25 years is now accessible on any device, from anywhere in the world.
More Foreign Language Curriculum
- Salsa Spanish – language series for young learners in kindergarten through the third grade. Puppets in familiar stories, digital graphics and animation teach the language.
- Song School Latin – Did you ever believe there could be a Latin program that would match the energy, developmental level, and fun-loving nature of your youngest students? Song School Latin does just that. Lessons are peppered with songs, enjoyable vocabulary, illustrations, handwriting practice, stories, games, and engaging activities, providing students with a vocabulary-based introduction to the language. Children will love learning Latin!
- Song School Greek – The Song School Greek Program is a lively and gentle introduction to Koine Greek—the language of the New Testament.
- Spanish for Children – The Spanish for Children Primer Series teaches elementary students this dynamic language, both classically and creatively, at a time when students soak up language like a sponge. Recommended for grades four and up.
- Spanish for Kids – Blended Learning with colorful and engaging content-rich materials. Spanish for Kids offers flexible, comprehensive, user-friendly curriculum.
- Spanish 4 You – Spanish for You! is a Spanish curriculum that provides a way for anyone to implement an effective elementary or middle school Spanish program in the home, classroom, or homeschool co-op easily and affordably.
Foreign Language Curriculum
- Speedy Spanish – An enjoyable, character-building Spanish curriculum your children will love! Learn Bible vocabulary as well as useful everyday language.
- Switched on Schoolhouse Spanish – Switched-On Schoolhouse is a comprehensive, Christian homeschool curriculum that offers computer-based learning for grades 3-12.
- The Easy French – French curriculum for homeschoolers (Christian based)
- The Fun Spanish – The Fun Spanish is a fun, beginning Spanish program which teaches Spanish the Charlotte Mason way, one fun phrase at a time. Elementary children read fun Spanish sentences, write fun Spanish sentences, and draw fun silly pictures to aid in memory retention.
- The Learnables foreign language courses – The Learnables® is the original picture system of instruction that teaches foreign language instruction through the use of the comprehension method.
- Think Spanish, Think French, Think German, Think Russian – Study cards designed to challenge the mind with questions/terms and answers/definitions on opposite sides.
- Unforgettable Languages – The courses use a large number of memory enhancing principles, including the method of association, spaced retrieval, and optimal testing patterns to increase the speed of learning and to increase the amount of memory of what has been learned.
- Visual Latin – Visual Latin is a video-based Latin homeschool curriculum. Three videos are paired with three sets of worksheets to guide students from grammar concepts, to practice sentences, to reading in Latin.
Carrie Fernandez is the founder of Homeschool Giveaways and owner of Daily Skill Building. She has been homeschooling for over 18 years, has two girls and works side by side at home with her awesome husband. She has been saved by grace, fails daily, but continues to strive toward the prize of the high calling of being a daughter of the Most High God.
Series Navigation Previous: 60+ Bible and Character Building Curriculum and Resources for Homeschoolers