Do you find your best answers while in the bath or shower?
I don’t know about you, but I do! There is something about a hot shower (or bath), isn’t there? I’ve never quite understood why ideas are more easily accessible in the shower. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve exclaimed “Eureka!” just like Archimedes did when he made one of his many important scientific discoveries.
Archimedes, who lived in Sicily between 287-212 B.C, is probably most famous for his “Eureka” moment. “Eureka,” in Greek literally means “ I found it!” It is said that Archimedes exclaimed, “Eureka!” when he found the answer to how his cousin, Hiero II, the ruler of Syracuse, Sicily, had been cheated by a local goldsmith tasked with making a golden crown.
Grab Your FREE Archimedes Printable Below!
Let’s Study Archimedes
It’s often easy to forget that Archimedes lived at the height of the Classical Age and experienced the rise of the Roman Empire first hand. Greece in 267 BC was in chaos. The FREE printable below will help you understand what was happening around Archimedes and why his contribution to science and history were so important then and how they were a foundation for later scientific discoveries.
Grab the FREE PRINTABLE below for:
- fun facts about Archimedes, including a comprehension game.
- a history timeline, and
- a fun, easy to do Archimedes science experiment.
Studying Archimedes is a great “anytime” activity!
There are quite a few ways to go about learning about Archimedes, here are a few of our favorites!
- Read up on the life of Archimedes – Learn why Archimedes is considered the greatest scientist of the Classical Age.
- Watch a fun video! These videos will help you quickly learn about Archimedes
- Do an experiment! You can test bouncy in your an outdoor kiddie pool, kitchen sink or bathtub. Don’t forget to wear a swimsuit when you run around the house yelling “Eureka!” The experiment is in the FREE Printable.
Learn on Location at a Museum. Check out these great museums with Archimedes exhibits.
- The Museum of Idaho, in the United States, has an exciting Archimedes Science & Innovation Exhibit.
- The Leonardo Archimede Museum in Syracuse, Sicily is an amazing Children’s museum dedicated to the life and works of Archimedes (and Leonardo da Vinci).
- The Archimedes Museum in Olympia, Greece. This is an archeological museum in Greece. If you happen to hed to Greece, this museum is a must-see!
If you can’t quite get to the museum, bring the fun right to you with these really fun books, videos, games, and science kits.
You can find the full story about the golden crown, as well as learning about Archimedes’ other inventions and discoveries in these books and videos:
Games & Science Kits
Read More About Archimedes & Grab Your FREE Printable! Tap The Image Below.
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (age 10 & 14) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their textbook. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.
Resources to Learn About Constellations
Were you ever interested in constellations as a child? I know I was. Except, in school, we only went
FREE Animal Classification Cut & Paste
Chances are good that we all know a bird or a fish when we see one. But do your kids know what makes
FREE All About Clouds Printables And Activities
A great way to spend an afternoon, is laying on the grass looking up, watching the clouds float by.
57 Jalapeno Poppers Recipes You'll Love
I have never been able to tolerate peppers. My husband, however, is a huge fan of them. Yes, he love
FREE Math Cut & Paste – Multiplication and Division
Could you use a no-prep hands-on activity to help your kids practice multiplication and division ski
Sewing Hacks for Beginners
I remember when I first learned how to sew. I was never taught growing up, but I am pretty crafty, s