Do you find your best answers while in the bath or shower? Maybe you’re like this famous scientist.
I don’t know about you, but I do! There is something about a hot shower (or bath), isn’t there? I’ve never quite understood why ideas are more easily accessible in the shower. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve exclaimed “Eureka!” just like Archimedes did when he made one of his many important scientific discoveries.
Archimedes, who lived in Sicily between 287-212 B.C, is probably most famous for his “Eureka” moment. “Eureka,” in Greek literally means “ I found it!” It is said that he exclaimed, “Eureka!” when he found the answer to how his cousin, Hiero II, the ruler of Syracuse, Sicily, had been cheated by a local goldsmith tasked with making a golden crown.
Grab Your FREE Printable Below!
Let’s Study Archimedes
It’s often easy to forget that Archimedes lived at the height of the Classical Age and experienced the rise of the Roman Empire first hand. Greece in 267 BC was in chaos. The FREE printable below will help you understand what was happening around Archimedes and why his contribution to science and history was so important then and how they were a foundation for later scientific discoveries.
Grab the FREE PRINTABLE below for:
- fun facts – including a comprehension game.
- a history timeline, and
- a fun, easy to do science experiment.
Studying Archimedes is a great “anytime” activity!
There are quite a few ways to go about learning about this Famous Scientist, here are a few favorites!
- Read up on the life of Archimedes – Learn why Archimedes is considered the greatest scientist of the Classical Age.
- Watch a fun video! These videos will help you quickly learn about Archimedes
- Do an experiment! You can test bouncy in your outdoor kiddie pool, kitchen sink, or bathtub. Don’t forget to wear a swimsuit when you run around the house yelling “Eureka!” The experiment is in the FREE Printable.
Learn on Location at a Museum. Check out these great museums with Archimedes exhibits.
- The Museum of Idaho, in the United States, has an exciting Archimedes Science & Innovation Exhibit.
- The Leonardo Archimede Museum in Syracuse, Sicily is an amazing Children’s museum dedicated to the life and works of Archimedes (and Leonardo da Vinci).
- The Archimedes Museum in Olympia, Greece. This is an archeological museum in Greece. If you happen to hed to Greece, this museum is a must-see!
If you can’t quite get to the museum, bring the fun right to you with these really fun books, videos, games, and science kits.
You can find the full story about the golden crown, as well as learning about his other inventions and discoveries in these books and videos:
Games & Science Kits
Grab Your FREE Printable! Tap The Image Below.
More About This Famous Scientist:
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (ages 12 & 15) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical/Charlotte Mason style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their classroom. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.
Ideas & Resources for a Meaningful Advent with Your Family
How many years do we come upon the month of December and totally forget an advent activity for our f
FREE Ultimate Christmas Planner
It's no secret that the holidays can be a very stressful time. This is the time of year that we shou
FREE Resources About Airplanes and Aviation History
Aldren about Maybe you have a child that loves airplanes and wants to learn more about the history o
FREE Copywork from Matthew 7 & the Golden Rule
The words of Jesus in the Sermon on the Mount are full of truth and wisdom that is vital to hide in
FREE Resources for Doing Science Labs at Home
Science is ones of those subjects that you either love or hate. Many of us remember the days of publ
FREE Capitals of the World Alphabet Tracing Pages
Help your young students become aware of world geography while they practice tracing the alphabet wi
Ways to Have Fun Learning About Historical Figures
Studying historical figures can be really fun for kids. These simple ways to have fun learning about