Whether you’re transitioning to homeschooling at semester break because of the current health crisis, faith-based reasons, or any other justification, let AOP welcome you to this incredible and rewarding endeavor with 10 tips to make the switch as easy as possible for your family.
1. Discuss the decision to transition to homeschooling with your child. Address any concerns or anxiety about making the switch.
2. Be aware of your state’s homeschooling rules and regulations.
3. Research local homeschooling groups in your area. They can help with questions, general concerns, and encouragement.
4. Withdraw your child and obtain all applicable records from their school (i.e. transcripts)
5. Establish a basic schedule for your homeschooling routine.
6. Plan and set goals.
7. Discover a homeschooling method that meets the needs of your family. Whether you choose to incorporate workbooks, computer-based learning, or both, there is no wrong way to homeschool.
9. Give your child an academic placement test to eliminate learning gaps.
10. Expect a period of adjustment for your family. You may need to keep things simple at first until everyone gets used to the change.
Founded in 1977, Alpha Omega Publications is a leading provider of PreK-12 Christian curriculum, educational resources, and services to homeschool families worldwide. AOP follows its mission every day by creating and providing quality Christian educational materials to thousands of students through curriculum, support services, and an accredited online academy. Visit Alpha Omega Publications online or call 800-622-3070 to learn more.