A few years ago I realized we needed to beef up my daughter’s reading comprehension skills. I found a book that had short passages of text followed by a few questions…and it did help.
But the text she read was irrelevant. She thought it was old-fashioned and found it boring.
I decided that it would be in our best interest if she had reading comprehension passages that expanded on what we were already studying in science, history, and geography.
So we spent over a year creating Nonfiction Reading Comprehension, Written Narration & Research, suitable for grades 4-8, but flexible.
[feature_box style=”1″ only_advanced=”There%20are%20no%20title%20options%20for%20the%20choosen%20style” alignment=”center”]
MORE THAN JUST READING COMPREHENSION
Short nonfiction lessons in science, history, and geography
Includes Q&A, prompts for additional research, and notebooking pages
Our full-year of nonfiction reading comprehension lessons cover many different topics such as:
- United States Geography – learn about the different regions of the United States.
- Natural Disasters – volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes & more
- Weather – meteorology, clouds, precipitation, floods, lightning, thunder & more
- Human Body Systems – learn about each system in the human body.
- Seven Wonders of the Natural World – Aurora Borealis, Mount Everest, Victoria Falls, Grand Canyon, Great Barrier Reef & more
- Seven Wonders of the Ancient World – Lighthouse of Alexandria, Colossus at Rhodes, Hanging Gardens of Babylon, Pyramids of Egypt at Giza & more
- Seven Wonders of the Medieval World – Stonehenge, Colosseum, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Great Wall of China & more
- Seven Wonders of the Age of Steam – Transcontinental Railroad, London Sewers, Brooklyn Bridge, Eiffel Tower & more
- Seven Wonders of the Modern World – Panama Canal, Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge & more
- Solar System – learn about the wonders of the solar system.
In addition to reading comprehension questions, each lesson is followed by prompts for additional research and a notebooking page to record what is found. Each unit concludes with a diagramming or labeling activity related to the unit.
Answer keys for all reading comprehension questions are included at the end of the book.
There are 75 reading comprehension lessons in 10 units that explore science, history, and geography. Each unit is completely self-contained and you can skip around and do whichever ones interest your student or align with what you are studying at the time.
Carrie Fernandez is the founder of Homeschool Giveaways and owner of Daily Skill Building. She has been homeschooling for over 18 years, has two girls and works side by side at home with her awesome husband. She has been saved by grace, fails daily, but continues to strive toward the prize of the high calling of being a daughter of the Most High God.