Do you ever struggle with knowing how to grade your student’s writing assignments? Does your student ever struggle to keep track of all the elements they need to include in an assignment? This Free Writing Rubrics and Student Checklist Pack might be just what you both are looking for!
Rubrics for Writing Assignments
Let’s face it. Writing is a hard subject to grade. There are so few right and wrong answers like there are in math. So it’s natural to wonder how to grade a writing assignment your student completes.
It can also be hard as a student to remember all the things you need to include in a project, like thesis statements, transitions, hooks and leads, conflict and climax, and so much more.
This Free Writing Rubrics and Student Checklist Pack has forms and tools in it to help both you and your student stress less about writing.
Written Assignment Rubric
The pack starts with some ideas and tips on how you can use rubrics in your homeschool (hint: they are about more than just grades).
Next are 8 rubrics you can use to assess your student’s work. They cover:
- general goals (such as grammar, etc.)
- magazine articles
- news articles
- book reports
- persuasive essays
- compare and contrast essays
- research papers
- fictional stories
Writing Rubrics for Feedback
Each of these rubrics also include space for giving your student specific feedback that can help them see all the ways their writing is growing and improving.
Then in the pack, you’ll find 7 student writing revision checklists (one for each type of assignment listed above, with the general goals included in each one). These can help students remember the goals as they revise and polish their work.
It’s a simple way to take some of the frustration out of writing and help both you and your student enjoy it more. Scroll down to get your free instant download today!
Creative Writing Templates
Using story writing templates can be super helpful for students. Creative Writing Story Steps provides students with a variety of easy-to-use templates that allow them to create a great story. These templates include a character template, setting template, plot outline template, and more! Students can also use these templates to complete any type of creative writing assignment.
Here are some other free writing resources we think you’ll enjoy:
- Letter Writing Templates – A letter template for kids is an easy way to teach them the steps of writing a friendly letter.
- Paragraph Writing – Learn how to teach paragraphs for kids the easy way.
- Cursive Writing – these cursive writing practice sheets are great for helping students craft beautiful handwriting.
- Transition Words Helps – teach your kids how to use transition words the right way.
- Creative Writing & Illustration Prompts: All About Space
- All About Space Trace & Write
- Creative Writing & Illustration Prompts: All About Horses
- All About Horses Trace & Write
- Creative Writing & Illustration Prompts: Down on the Farm
- Down on the Farm Trace & Write
Download Rubrics for Writing Assignments
Bonnie Rose Hudson’s heart’s desire is for every child to feel the love of God and know how special they are to Him. She would love for you to stop by her website WriteBonnieRose.com for homeschool and history curriculum, resources to help teach your children about missions and the persecuted Church, free history and writing printables, and to check out her newest release from JourneyForth, The Hidden Village, an early reader set in India.