May Calendar of Famous People & Fun Learning Activities
Are you ready to finish well? Homeschooling in May is all about finishing projects, seeing progress, and fulfilling any state requirements that are needed. The school year is nearly over and the finish line is in sight! May is in full bloom and there is so much to learn about. Many homeschool families are making next year’s plans too. So having some interest-led subjects allows a glimpse into your student’s passions, interests. Use the May calendar of famous people to offer exciting learning for every day of the month to offer interesting learning opportunities for your middle & high school students.
Celebrate May with 53 Famous People & 9 Special Days
Learning about Memorial Day & May Day is fun for any age, but there are 53 other famous people to celebrate and 9 fun days to celebrate this month too. Your 6th-12th graders can explore writers and artists, world leaders, as well as modern explorers, and scientists. There’s plenty of interesting individuals to learn about for an end-of-year project or presentation.
What’s in the “Hello May!” Calendar of Famous People?
In May, the calendar contains 19 famous writers, poets, artists, and musicians. There are so many really good ones to explore! Included are:
- Salvador Dali – Spanish surrealist artist (Crucifixion).
- Jules Massenet – French composer.
- Claudio Monteverdi – Italian composer and pioneer in the development of opera.
- Lyman Frank Baum – American children’s book author (The Wonderful Wizard of Oz).
- Albrecht Durer – Renaissance painter/print maker.
- Richard Wagner – German composer of the Romantic Era.
- Arthur Conan Doyle – famous British author (The Hound of the Baskervilles).
- Ralph Waldo Emerson – American essayist and philosopher.
- Walt Whitman – American poet (Leaves of Grass) and a volunteer nurse during the Civil War.
- Plus 10 more!
There are also 13 famous scientists, explorers, and inventors that were born in May included in the download. Your middle through high school students will enjoy learning more about, botany, space exploration, and archeology just to name a few! These make perfect mini-studies for those needing resources for a presentation or research project.
Here are a few of the famous scientists, explorers, and inventors included in May’s calendar:
- Carolus Linnaeus -Swedish botanist, explorer, and the Father of Taxonomy.
- John Bardeen – American physicist, electrical engineer, and co-inventor of the transistor.
- Daniel Gabriel Fahrenheit – Dutch-German-Polish physicist, inventor, and scientific instrument maker, who invented the thermometer and the Fahrenheit scale.
- Igor Sikorsky -Russian-American pioneer of aviation in both helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft.
- Sally Ride – famous American astronaut (the first American woman to go to space).
- Tenzing Norgay – Tibetan climber who was the 1st to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
- Alexei Leonov – Russian cosmonaut and the first person to walk in space.
- Plus 6 more!
Historical Figures Born in May
There are also so many well-known world-leaders born in May that a day won’t go by without something interesting to learn about. There is a nice variety across the various ages and stages of history, making it easy to find an interesting topic no matter what your focus is this month. You’ll find a total of 20 from which to choose. Here are just a few:
- John Brown – American abolitionist and revolutionary (Harpers Ferry).
- John Wilkes Booth – American stage actor and assassin of US President Abraham Lincoln.
- Florence Nightingale – a famous British nurse during the Crimean War.
- Nicholas II – last Tsar of Russia.
- Malcolm X [Little] – African-American human rights activist.
- Elizabeth Fry – English prison reformer, social reformer, and Quaker Minister.
- Queen Victoria – former Queen of the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- “Wild Bill” Hickok [James Butler] – American cowboy and scout.
- Selim II “the blonde” – 11th Sultan of the Ottoman Empire.
- George I – former King of England.
- Plus 10 more!
Fun Activities Included in Your Calendar
Don’t miss out on celebrating a few of these special days too. In total, there are 9 days to celebrate something fun or honor a memorable moment in history.
- May Day
- Star Wars Day – May The Force Be With You!
- Cinco de Mayo – Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with music!
- Thank a Teacher Day! Enjoy one of these thankfulness writing ideas.
- Mother’s Day
- International Day of Families – Learn how to write your family story.
- Children’s Book Week – Learn how to write about a book.
- National Memo Day – Learn how to write a business letter.
- Memorial Day (USA)
To make it as ‘open and go’ as possible, the May calendar includes resources for notebooking and journaling, as well as music and literature suggestions. Don’t miss the video resources from exciting museums! And, of course, you will find resources to help you learn about famous Americans and the states they call home.
Have fun in May celebrating the well-known holidays and some of the famous people born this month. Everything you need is in the May Calendar of Famous People & Fun Activities.
Free for a limited time! At check out, use code: HELLOMAY
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (ages 12 & 15) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical/Charlotte Mason style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their classroom. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.