Many of us are so focused on teaching the 3Rs or core content in our homeschools, that we forget about something just as important – life skills. If we truly believe we’re training our kids to become the next generation of parents and leaders, then we need to focus at least some of our homeschool efforts into teaching life skills. Here are some resources and tips that will help you get started!
What are Life Skills
The truth of the matter is that many times we get bogged down with making our kids memorize facts. Check off the box. Complete the workbook. Move on.
But how will they be able to problem solve in real life if we’re not challenging their discernment or critical thinking skills in real life? Is there a way to teach life skills while still progressing in the content areas?
“Life skills” can be a confusing word. What do we really mean? Consider these areas that will benefit your kids even into adulthood. Life skills include things like:
- time management
- relationship & communication skills
- money management
- business & entrepreneurship
- computer skills
- preparing our kids to be influencers instead of just followers
- inspiring our kids to become life-long learners
- helping our kids make wise decisions
Teaching Life Skills in Our Homeschools
If you can see the value of including life skills in your homeschool, you may still be wondering how exactly to go about implementing it. The good news is that the Life Skills Leadership Summit will offer online workshops to help you figure out the “how” of including life skills in your homeschool. Plus, you can attend the summit for FREE with the Basic Pass.
The Free Basic Pass allows you to watch all 60+ workshops for free, as long as you watch them within the first 24 hours they are released. If you miss one, you can always get the All-Access Pass which gives you lifetime access to all video workshops, handouts, audio interviews, bonus package and more.
What will you receive with a FREE Basic Pass?
- 60+ Original Video Workshops (value $300)
- Private Community Group (value PRICELESS)
- Digital Swag Bag – (value over $400)
- Facebook Party – Giveaways, Door Prizes & More
During the Life Skills Leadership Summit, you’ll get answers to questions you have on your mind. How to raise kids to be influencers and leaders, instead of following the crowd. How to be sure your kids are equipped in all areas of life, beyond academics.
What topics will the summit cover? There are two tracks, and some of the workshops will be perfect for your teens to listen in on!
Foundations of Leadership Education
- What is Leadership?
- How do you provide leadership education
- What is servant leadership?
- How to incorporate character building?
- Can you parent and homeschool successfully?
- How to encourage a love of learning?
- Tips for growing lifetime learners
- How to transition into independent learning?
- How to teach “how to think” and “how to make wise decisions?
- Mom & Dad homeschool encouragement
Real Life Skills
- Communication Skills
- Relationship Building
- Team Building
- Computer Skills
- Money Management & Financial Skills
- Computer Skills
- Time Management for Life
- Self Care
- Organization Skills
Within each of these areas everything ties back to raising Godly leaders who will influence for Jesus Christ. Grab your FREE Basic Pass today! (offer ends 2/28/21)
Abby is a former public school teacher, now homeschooling her five children. She’s in the trenches just like you and knows it can be challenging to be home with your kids all day while you struggle to keep up with the housework and educate your kids (and maybe even work on the side!). She blogs over at www.4onemore.com and hosts the Homeschool with Moxie podcast.