There are so many fun ways to use maps in your homeschool that you can do an entire unit study on maps!
Maps can be used for geography and history lesson and are a great tool to learn about people and places in the world. When I was younger they were an important tool so that you could drive to where you wanted to go without getting lost! Now, with so much technology at our hands, maps aren’t as necessary as they once were, but it is an important skill to learn about. Have you ever been on a road trip where there was no Wi-Fi signal?
Resources for Reading Maps
Here are some fun resources to teach your children about maps and how to read them!
- Learning About Maps
- Using a Map Key
- Map Reading
- Position and Direction
- Find Your Way Around a Map
- Directions: North, South, East, West
- What is a Compass Rose?
- Free Maps of Countries and Continents
- 7 Continents PDF Download
Map Skills Printables:
- Map Skills for Young Students with Me on the Map and a free printable flip book
- Map Skills Worksheet
- Map Learning Printables to go along with the book Mapping My Day
- Geography Map Skills Practice – Learn map vocabulary terms with this free printable pack.
- How to Read Maps – free printable unit study
Test your knowledge with this Map Symbol Bingo from Get Out with Kids.
Map Skills Unit Studies and Lesson Plans:
- Learning About Maps an Easy Introduction
- Map Study with Watercolour Painting Idea – this activity is great for learning geography and landforms.
- Map Skills and Location Social Studies Unit
- Cardinal Directions and Maps Lesson Plan
- How to Teach Map Skills Through Amusement Park Design
- Simple Ways to Teach Map Skills
- Map Skills for Kids: Planning a Route with this simple STEM activity
- How to Use Google Maps as a Powerful Learning Tool from Steam Powered Family
Learning about the Compass Rose Printables:
- What is a Compass Rose?
- Compass Rose Coloring Page
- Compass Rose Worksheet
- Compass Points Cut and Paste Printable
- Label the Compass Rose
- Compass Rose and Cardinal Directions Printable
Free Online Map Games
Learning about the Compass and Directions with Mr. Donn – there are free games, and online lessons, power point presentations and more!
Just because we have GPS now doesn’t mean that learning how to read maps and growing map skills isn’t important. Be sure to weave in some studies on maps alongside your geography curriculum.
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for almost 20 years.. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!