July Calendar of Famous People & Fun Learning Activities
Summer is in full swing … unless you live in the Southern Hemisphere. Families are packing their summer with fun activities like camping, hiking, and exploring. Fun activities create great opportunities to contemplate, ask questions and seek answers in a more relaxed manner. Taking a break or switching things up from the typical homeschool routine every now and then is really important. It keeps things from getting boring or mundane. July is a perfect time to enjoy a few laid back summer homeschool activities in the Hello July Calendar of Famous Folks.
July Calendar of 53 Famous People To Celebrate
In July, learn about famous authors, explorers, and world leaders as well as presidents, musicians, chemists, and ancient or medieval world leaders. Your 6th-12th graders can explore literary greats, famous entrepreneurs as well as modern inventors, and activists. There are plenty of interesting individuals to learn about all month long.
Get your “Hello July!” Calendar of Famous People for upper elementary through high school students at the end of this post.
What’s in the “Hello July!” Calendar of Famous People?
In July, the calendar contains 16 famous writers, poets, artists, or musicians. There are so many really good ones to explore! Included are:
- E. B. White – American writer (Charlotte’s Web, Elements of Style),
- Henry David Thoreau – American naturalist and pacifist (Walden)
- Rembrandt van Rijn – Dutch painter (Night Watch)
- Ernest Hemingway -American author (The Old Man and the Sea, Nobel 1954),
- Emma Lazarus – American poet (“New Colossus” – on the base of Statue of Liberty)
- Alexandre Dumas – French author (The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo)
- George Bernard Shaw – Irish dramatist (Pygmalion)
- Beatrix Potter (1866), – English children’s author and illustrator (The Tale of Peter Rabbit)
- Emily Brontë – English novelist (Wuthering Heights)
- Plus 7 more!
There are also 14 famous scientists, explorers, and inventors that were born in July included in the download. Your middle through high school students will enjoy learning more about, the inventor of the Tesla coil, a famous female archaeologist, and a famous Norwegian explorer. Perfect for lazy summer afternoon boredom busters.
Here’s the list included in July’s calendar:
- A. E. Douglass – American astronomer and inventor of dendrochronology. Learn about tree-ring dating
- Elias Howe – American inventor (invented the sewing machine)
- Nikola Tesla – Serbian-American physicist, electrical engineer, and inventor, who developed alternating current and the Tesla Coil,
- George Eastman – American inventor (the Kodak camera, founder of the Eastman Kodak Company)
- Gertrude Bell – British archaeologist (Desert & The Sown)
- Jocelyn Bell Burnell – Irish astrophysicist (discovered radio pulsars)
- Plus 8 more!
Historical Figures Born in July
There are also so many well-known world leaders, presidents and activists that a day won’t go by without something interesting to learn about. There is a nice variety across the various ages and stages of history. You’ll find a total of 17 to choose from! Here are just a few:
- John Calvin – Protestant religious reformer and theologian (Calvinism)
- Robert the Bruce – Scottish king (1306-1329) and national hero, born in Turnberry Castle, Ayrshire, Scotland.
- John Quincy Adams – the 6th President of the United States
- Julius Caesar – Roman military and political leader, born in Rome, Italy.
- Gerald Ford – the 38th US President
- Emmeline Pankhurst – British suffragette who formed the Women’s Social & Political Union (1903)
- John Jacob Astor – German-American businessman (first multi-millionaire in the United States).
- Nelson Mandela – South African anti-apartheid activist, political prisoner (1962-90) and President of South Africa (1994-99).
- Alexander the Great – Macedonian king and military leader
- Plus 14 more!
If your upper-grade homeschoolers are looking for really unique topics this summer, the “Hello July!” Famous People Calendar has over 50 well-known people included. These create the perfect opportunity for fun summer learning at home or away from home.
Summer Learning Goes Virtual!
To make it as ‘open and go’ as possible, the July calendar includes links to notebooking pages, as well as music and literature suggestions so you can deep-dive into a topic. It is chock full of video resources in cuddling some from exciting museums. You will also find resources to help you learn about famous Americans and the states they call home. Download what is interesting and enjoy it on a road trip or use it to build an epic vacation.
Have fun in July celebrating the birthdays of the famous people born this month. Everything you need is in the July Calendar of Famous People & Fun Activities.
Free for a limited time! At check out, use code: HELLOJULY
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (ages 12 & 15) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical/Charlotte Mason style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their classroom. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.