Summer camp 2020 looks nothing like any of us planned, so while this post may seem out of sync with the current activities of this summer, it is bursting with resources and information that can be applied to many new situations and camp-style events for special needs families (virtual or with friends & family). Above all, use these resources to think outside the box when it comes to how to help your special needs child enjoy and thrive in new situations.
Summer Camp Success For Special Needs Families.
Maybe you are wondering how to find or create success for your special needs kid by finding the perfect summer camp. Let’s make it happen! Summer Camp Success for special needs families.
First, does summer camp success look different for special needs kids? Yes and no. Yes, summer camp may look different, but it should be geared toward meeting your unique child where they are at and providing a safe and enjoyable opportunity to explore new activities, ideas and have a ton of fun! That’s what we want for all our kids, right?
So what are the results of summer camp success for special needs kids?
Overall, there are some amazing benefits of camp. For special needs kids, summer camp success looks like this:
- confidence boosts.
- independence is explored
- increased physical activity in an accessible environment
- build lasting friendships
- interaction with positive role models
- a chance for parents to get a break and participate in self-care
- new situations provide an opportunity to improve problem-solving and communication skills
The great thing is getting to decide together what is going to work best for your unique family situation.
FREE Summer Camp Success Planner For Special Needs Families Is Below.
The free resources included in this Summer Camp Success for Special Needs planner will help you navigate new activities and even plan for weekend or holiday camps offered throughout the year.
3 Summer Camp Success Tips For Special Needs Families.
- Find the type of camp that will bring about the most success for your family. There are many types, but the most common are specific special needs camps for children with diabetes, cancer, autism, or other medical or developmental concerns. There are also special needs camps that are open to kids with various needs. Some families find that mainstream camps, DIY camps such as Camp Mom or Grandma & Grandpa are a perfect fit for their family. Consider adding some o these summer activities.
- Preparing your special needs child for camp. Depending on the type of camp chosen, you will need to carefully consider how to prepare your child for camp. Finding out as much as you can about the camp, creating checklists, and whatever is necessary to help your child accommodate the change in routine that comes with summer camp.
- Create a personalized plan that promotes success. Have resources such as social stories, scripts that promote flexibility and offer clarity for your child. When the typical routine has changed these types of resources are invaluable for maintaining a positive, fun atmosphere.
Resources to prepare for summer success with your family.
Here are a variety of resources that will help you prepare your special needs child for a super fun and successful summer camp experience. You can even begin using them now to build successful routines as you look forward to summer camp in years to come.
Finding the perfect summer camp to fit your budget, needs, and child’s interests might be a tall order, but the resources are available in the downloadable planner guide at the end of this post. It is free for a limited time.
The Special Needs Summer Camp Success Planner includes:
- Pro/Con Question sheets to help you decide on the best type of camp
- Interview Questions to help you narrow down your selection
- Checklist of things to pack
- Social Stories examples
- Tips on how to interact with others at your special needs camp
Grab Your Special Needs Summer Camp Success Planner.
Free for a limited time.