12 Homeschool Resources for Studying Roman Britain
Virtual Museums are super fun! They are an affordable way to learn about so many different subjects. Using virtual learning resources for studying Roman Britain is a great way to use the world as your classroom. You even get a double dose of learning about the Roman Empire and Ancient Britain all at the same time.
Upper elementary and high school students will enjoy this variety of homeschool resources about Ancient Rome and how they invaded Britain. Students will learn about the incredible impact the Romans had on Britain. Did you know, many of Britain’s customs, recipes, and culture are deeply rooted in ideas and objects imported during Rome’s attempt to conquer the British Isle?
Learn About Ancient Rome
Begin with learning about Ancient Rome. These blog posts and resources offer a solid understanding of Ancient Rome and help lay the foundation of knowledge needed to better grasp the impact of the Roman invasion of Britain in 43AD.
- Ancient Rome Resources & FREEBIES for Your Digital Homeschool – When
In Rom eat Home…do as the Romans! Hands-on activities to help you learn all about Rome right in your own home.
- Free Roman Numeral Printables – great free printables to help children learn to recognize and memorize Roman Numerals.
- FREE Sonlight Hands-on Project: Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire– Step by step directions for creating your crown.
- Ancient Rome for Kids – A subscription box full of hands-on fun and learning all about ancient Rome.
Learn About Ancient Britain
Ancient Britain was all about Boudicca, the warrior queen. Her attempt to save her people from the Romans is a riveting story your kids will enjoy. These resources provide a variety of different ways to learn about Boudicca, ancient Britain, and the Roman invasion.
- Ancient Britain Resources from BBC.com – Exciting hands-on history resources for all ages.
- Timeline of British History for kids – An interactive timeline of British history. (If you rabbit trail you may enjoy using these FREE Kings and Queens of England Cheat Sheets).
Audio & Digital Books About Britain
- A Child’s History of England (audio) by Charles Dickens – Listen to chapter 1 to learn all about Ancient Britain.
- A Child’s History of England (digital), by Charles Dickens, Read Chapter 1. The Roman invasion told by Charles Dickens is so enjoyable.
- I Was There – Boudicca’s Army (Amazon) – A fun, historical fiction, chapter book for upper elementary readers.
Learn Even More About Roman Britain
With so many resources available for learning in Britain and Italy, your kids might really like this virtual tour and Roman Britain unit study. This unit study, perfect for upper elementary & middle schoolers, will take your homeschooler on a virtual museum tour and a unit study using digital resources to deep dive into learning about Roman Britain.
Charlotte Mason Inspired Virtual Museum Fun
The Virtual Field Trip Journal & Notebooking Pack is a fun way to add a Charlotte Mason inspired twist to digital learning. Grab the journaling and notebooking pack below. Then, head straight to any virtual museum for an engaging look at your favorite museum. The pack also includes a list of virtual museums perfect for homeschoolers, and it’s free!
The Virtual Field Trip Journal & Notebooking Pack is a 10-page, reusable download suitable for upper elementary through high school students. Use it at virtual field trips to zoos, aquariums, history museums, art galleries, and even more. Also included is a list of Virtual Museum Tours for Doing School At Home. It is a perfect tool for use with any online field trip, museum tour, or art gallery digital exhibit. It also is well suited for younger kids too. They will enjoy learning alongside older siblings studying Roman Britain. The whole family can enjoy the virtual museum together.
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (ages 12 & 15) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical/Charlotte Mason style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their classroom. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.