Don’t miss the FREE printable to help you celebrate the last day of school at the end of this post.
The school year will be ending soon for many homeschool families. We still have about 2 months left in our studies before we take a break, but I’m already thinking of ways to celebrate the end of another year. We have our usual last day of school traditions, and I’m hoping to add a couple more this year.
Does your family have any last day of school traditions?
If you’re wanting to celebrate your children’s hard work with some fun end of the year activities, I’ve gathered up some ideas for you:
Get excited about the last day of school with a countdown. Starting 1 or 2 weeks beforehand, begin counting down until the last day. It doesn’t need to be complicated, just mark each day off on the calendar or make a chain of balloons and pop one each day leading up to the end of the school year.
- Start the day off with a celebration. If you don’t usually make a big breakfast on school days, serve up a nice breakfast to enjoy before the day starts.
- Some families get doughnuts on the first day of school. Sounds like a great last day of school tradition too.
- Do you take first day of school pictures? If so, take last day of school pictures too and if possible in the same location. Then you can easily compare how much your children have changed throughout the year.
- Make a video slideshow using the pictures and videos you’ve taken of your children working on school or doing school activities during the school year. Your children will enjoy seeing themselves and it’s a great reminder of how much fun you had.
- Similar to the video, you could make a photo book recording the memories from the school year. In a sense, your own school “yearbook.” If your children are old enough, they can even help design the pages.
For most areas the weather is finally warm by the last day of school. Here are a few activities that would be a fun way to celebrate, while taking advantage of the warmer weather:
- Savor the beautiful weather and do some or all of your school outdoors.
- Surprise your kids with a water fight. That’s definitely something they would always remember. ;)
- Have a picnic lunch.
- Treat your kids with a cool snack, such as root beer floats, ice cream sundaes, or popsicles.
Summer Bucket List
Ask your kids what they would enjoy doing this summer? Then make a summer bucket list of fun activities you hope to do this summer together.
Record Your Memories
The longer you homeschool the more the years seem to run together. Capture this year’s memories before you start making new ones next year.
- I put together a free printable to help you record the memories you’ve made this school year. The “Our 2018-2019 Homeschool Memories” pack includes:
- My School Year Memories page is a questionnaire for each child to fill out.
- Mom’s School Year Memories page to help you remember the things that were dear to your heart this school year.
- Pages to record field trips, activities, and special events from the year.
- Course of Study page to fill out for each child to help you remember who studied what that year.
- If you wanted to capture your child’s personality even more, you could interview them on video using the questions from the questionnaire.
Get your “Our 2018-2019 Homeschool Memories” pack by clicking on the picture below.
I hope you’ve been inspired to make some fun last day of school memories with your children. After all, each one of you have worked hard throughout the year and that alone is a reason to celebrate.
FREE Geography Unit Studies
I remember learning geography when I was in school and it was so boring and dry. I wanted nothing to
A Simple Homeschool Lesson Planning Method + FREE Lesson Pla
When I first started homeschooling, I had this vision of homeschool lesson planning where I'd write
How to Teach About Pagan Cultures in a Christian Homeschool
I am sure you have heard of the classic explanation for how experts can tell a counterfeit bill comp
Coping with Fibromyalgia While Homeschooling
I recently learned the extent of fibromyalgia while my eldest daughter was managing a website for pe
DIY Gifts to Give Your Children
Handmade gifts are things that money can never buy. Just think about the feelings in your heart when
Awesome Kinetic Sand Activities
Are you taking one last trip to the beach this summer? Do you have a sandbox outside that your child