Family internet safety is a hot topic these days. Many families are concerned about:
- The amount of time spent on the computer or other digital devices.
- Protecting their families from inappropriate content on the internet.
- Teaching their families how to make wise choices when it comes to internet games, activities, and searches.
Making Internet Safety A Priority
As a family with upper elementary & high school students, having healthy internet safety habits is at the top of my life skills education list. However, this is also the age when we want to encourage open dialogue about difficult subjects. Creating opportunity and a platform for discussion is vital to instilling strong values and characteristics in our families that will lead them toward a life built on integrity and strong, Godly character.
Finding a flexible, age-appropriate family internet safety app is a must for families homeschooling using the internet across multiple devices. Here are 3 things to look for when looking for an internet safety app for your family.
- An app that monitors where kids are going on the internet
- An app that prevents kids from going to specific areas without permission, and
- An app that helps create an opportunity to dialogue about family internet safety.
I was given a chance to review Mobicip, a relatively new app, and I was pumped. I enlisted my husband in installing it on the laptops and began configuring the permissions specific to each child’s accounts.
Having researched several internet blocker apps over the years, I’ve finally come across one that easily takes these three features (plus a whole lot more) and packages them in an app that is super versatile, easy to install and able to be used across multiple devices.
What’s So Great About Mobicip?
The Mobicip family internet safety app is:
- easy to set up.
- allows families to learn how to manage their computer time.
- helps uncover potentially dangerous family internet safety habits.
Mobicip has so many features and options. It is very easy to tailor permissions for each family member and each electronic device. Mobicip will help you quickly begin monitoring your family’s internet safety across multiple devices. The features my family found most useful were:
- An easy-to-use dashboard allowing a quick choice of apps individually, or by category.
- The ability to set up the monitoring app for specific profiles on a computer.
- Easy notification feature for the kids to simply request permission for specific websites or apps.
- Flexibility in setting allowable computer usage times specific for each family member or device.
- The very cool button locks all screens in the dashboard for family time! This is every mom’s favorite!
Overall, I do like Mobicip for family internet safety and will continue to use it. I appreciate the versatility of the app for a broad age range and app usage. I also appreciate that it helped me understand what was happening throughout our day as we use digital devices for both homeschool and recreation.
You can read my full review of the Mobicip app to gain a more in-depth understanding of how it was used with our family.
Get your downloadable Family Internet Safety Guide to assist in teaching family internet safety in your digital homeschool.
Shannan is a wife, mum, and saved by grace child of The King. Her home base is in Scotland, where she homeschools her two kids (ages 12 & 15) and learns on location throughout Europe as much as possible. She is a classical/Charlotte Mason style home educator living out her God-breathed dream of raising her family in Europe. She’s passionate about many things, especially helping others learn on location using the world as their classroom. She encourages you to pursue your God-breathed dream, no matter what it is! You can join her at Captivating Compass for homeschool and family travel inspiration.