Are you looking for some world history ideas for your homeschool? If so, this Middle Ages & the Renaissance Book List – Discover the Kings & Queens, Knights, Inventors, Artists, and Scientists will be perfect for your lessons. The Middle Ages and Renaissance period are full of amazing characters, places, and events to share with your learners. They are bound to catch any child’s attention.
Have you ever wondered what the point was to even teach about .history? Particularly, why even teach about these periods as they weren’t even in America. When I first began to homeschool I question things like this myself. I would ask myself, and I still do at times, if the lessons I choose are really necessary. I grew through this every year in some form or other. So, why teach about the Middle Ages and the Renaissance?
I have gathered a few things that may help you understand why the Middle Ages and the Renaissance are such a fascinating time period in history.
- The importance of religion in the Middle Ages, mase it so the period is called “The Age of Faith.
- Medieval education was derived from Christian teachings and from Europe’s classical heritage. As a matter of fact, much of the public culture in the Middle Ages was shaped, or at least informed by, Christianity.
- There were amazing events that took place during this period like the Magna Carta, the Black Death, and the Hundred Years War.
- Not all the people were knights or serfs or clergy2 (like the movies show us).
- People had the vote.
- They invented experimental science during this period.
- Most great medieval authors didn’t write. For much of the Middle Ages, working as a scribe – or writing – was seen as a kind of labor. Therefore, “important” people like theologians and intellectuals wouldn’t bother doing it themselves.
Check out this Middle Ages and Renaissance Ancient World History Book List from Field of Daisies to help you with a unit study in your homeschool.
Jeannette is a wife, mother and homeschooling mom. She has been mightily, saved by grace and is grateful for God’s sovereignty throughout her life’s journey. She has a Bachelor in English Education and her MBA. Jeannette is bi-lingual and currently lives in the Tongan Islands of the South Pacific. She posts daily freebies for homeschoolers!