These ready-to-use charts and printable cards from Art Class Curator will help your children analyze works of art. Many homeschooling moms choose to use the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling their children. You will find that picture study is a very important piece of the Charlotte Mason puzzle.
There must be knowledge … not the technical knowledge of how to produce, but some reverent knowledge of what has been produced that is, children should learn pictures line by line, group by group, by reading not books (about art) but the pictures themselves.” (A Philosophy of Education)
For beginners, studying artwork can be a little strange – where do you start? How do you do it? What type of questions do you ask? Even when you appreciate art, knowing how to really analyze it can be a struggle when you don’t know what questions to ask yourself (or your children!).
Some of the steps that Charlotte Mason took when studying art are as follows:
- One artist per term, focusing on one new piece of art from the artist each week. After you plan out your homeschool for the year, you can decide for yourself how long a term will be and then select the artists that you want to study. You could break it down by time period, studying one artist in a different time period per term.
- Learn about the actual artist – spend some time researching and learning about each artist before you start your picture study. The Getting to Know the World’s Greatest Artists series is a great place to start.
- Study the artwork – spend time appreciating each piece that you study. You can use the free anchor charts included in this offer to look at the elements of art in each piece.
Simply Charlotte Mason has some great info on picture study. I also love their Picture Study Portfolios.
This art resource will help your children learn how to study art and analyze the works from a more technical angle.
You can print out this set of art cards, cut and laminate them for durability!
Click here for the FREE Elements & Principles Printable Pack from Art Class Curator
You might also enjoy these posts:
- FREE Art Curriculum for Ages 4-12 (Limited Time)
- Art Study the Charlotte Mason Way
- FREE Artist Study Discussion Worksheets
- FREE Artist Unit Study and Lesson- Jan Van Eyck
Carrie is the owner & operator of Homeschool Giveaways. She has been homeschooling for over a decade and has successfully graduated her first homeschooler. She has two girls and works side by side at home with her awesome husband. She has been saved by grace, fails daily, but continues to strive toward the prize of the high calling of being a daughter of the Most High God.