Earth Day is on April 22, 2018. This is a great time to talk to our children about how God made the world and that it’s our job to care for the world and to be good stewards of His creation.
A way to be a good steward of the earth that God gave us is by helping to keep it clean, and caring for the plants and animals that live here. If you are looking for some ways to get your children more interested in caring for our planet, Earth Day is a good start. There are always many different activities in your city or neighborhood that you can involve your children in. Our family loves to do service projects with our church and our girls are always participating in community service projects with our American Heritage Girls troop. Service projects are a great way to show God’s love and to show that we care about the world around us.
Here are some fun service project ideas that your whole family can do together on Earth Day:
- Start a community or neighborhood garden. This would be a fun activity to do with a homeschool group if you could find a business or church that has a little piece of land that they aren’t using. The community garden would be a great way to help and reach out to those that may be in need of fresh, healthy food.
- Host a recycling drive for a specific cause. There are many different companies that take recycled items to turn them into something useful, like shoes or for women to use to create jewelry in foreign countries. Your whole family can research an organization that they feel led to, and host a drive to collect the specific item in need.
- Organize and plan a local park clean up day. There are many parks that don’t seem to get the love and attention they deserve from the city. There are also rivers and water ways that are constantly cluttered and full of trash. Pick an area that you love and organize a clean up day for that area. If you don’t want to organize it, just look around on your local Facebook groups or news stations for a clean up day in your area on Earth Day.
- Plan a bird nest building day. With so many forests being destroyed by new developments many bird and bats are being displaced. There are also certain types of birds that need to nest in enclosed spaces. By offering extra nesting opportunities, bird population increases and mosquitoes decrease, which reduces the spread of diseases.
- Help to save the Monarch butterflies by planting a butterfly garden in your neighborhood, or a local business, park or church. Milkweed plants are an easy way to attract monarch butterflies and help to increase the population. While you are at it, you can plant other flowers that will attract pollinators such as bees and butterflies to your neighborhood.
If you would like to teach your kids about Earth Day here are some fun printable packs to incorporate into your homeschool:
Earth Day Printable Pack for Pre-K – 3rd Grade from Blessed Beyond a Doubt
Earth Day Printable Packs from Royal Baloo
Earth Day Printable Pack from Embark on the Journey
Earth Day Printable Pack for Toddlers from Best Toys for Toddlers
Earth Day Do-a-Dot Printables from Gift of Curiosity
Earth Day Learning Pack from 3 Dinosaurs
Earth Day Tot and Pre-K/K Pack from In All You Do
Sarah is a wife, daughter of the King and Mama to 4 children (one who is a homeschool graduate)! She is a an eclectic, Charlotte Mason style homeschooler that has been homeschooling for over 16 years now. She is still trying to find the balance between work and keeping a home and says she can only do it by the Grace of God, and Coffee!
Classical Homeschooling Freebies and Resources
If you are new to homeschooling and are still doing some research, you may be a little confused by t
FREE Printable with a Daily Bible Reading Plan for Kids
Are you looking for some help with getting your kids to read the Bible daily? If so, this daily Bibl
How You Can Ruin Your Homeschool and Not Even Know it
You always hear about ways to help your homeschool be better. Much information is other there to res
FREE Activities for the Splat the Cat books
Do you have a Splat the Cat book fan at home? If you do, don’t miss out on these FREE Splat the Ca
Laundry Tackling Tips for Your Home
I need this so bad. Summertime here is time for family to come visit. I live on an island, thus summ
Do-It-Yourself Sprinklers at Home
Summertime means the best time for outdoor sprinkler fun. If your kids like being outside, these DIY
FREE Star-Spangled Banner Copywork Printable
The national anthem is important to teach our children so that they can sing it when it is being sun